Important Notice due to Covid-19-Pandemic
Ayubowan and Welcome back to the paradise island of Sri Lanka. As we open our doors to the world once again, we've pulled out all the stops, ensuring that every precautionary measure has been set in place to make your island getaway as safe, secure and serene as possible. We are so looking forward to welcome you!
In your preparation to explore the wild and wonderful, we'd like to bring your attention to the 'things you need to know' for your safety as you make your way to an amazing time that is So Sri Lanka!
Updated Health Protocols applicable for travellers to Sri Lanka who are fully- vaccinated, not vaccinated, not fully vaccinated or recovered and children up to 18 years - effective since 14 December 2021
Please access links below for more information:
More information on PCR-Tests, Health Declaration Form, Quarantine and other topics to ensure your smooth arrival on the shining island is available on the website of Sri Lanka Tourism (Hello Again).
All health regulations as issued by the Ministry of Health of Sri Lanka could be accessed through the following link - http://www.health.gov.lk/moh_final/english/news_read_more.php?id=999
Short-Stay Tourist Visa (Up to 30 Days)
Visas for up to 30 days stay in Sri Lanka for tourist purposes can be obtained by the following methods:
1. On Arrival visa at the Port of Entry to Sri Lanka: Submit visa application and payment at Colombo International Airport. A fee of USD 40 will be charged for this service. Please observe that this option of obtaining a visa is available only for German passport holders, who have tried to obtain a visa via the ETA-system www.eta.gov.lk, but failed due to not being able to pay the fees with credit card.
When applying for visa on arrival, the payment can be made at the Bandaranaike International Airport, in designated foreign currencies equivalent to the value of US Dollars in cash or by means of a credit card. Balance will be paid in Sri Lankan Rupees only.
2. Online ETA System: Submit visa application through the ETA system at http://eta.gov.lk/slvisa/ and pay visa fee by credit card. Applicant must input personal details including email address and are advised regarding the status of the application. Successful applicants are given a confirmation number (reference number) of the visa, which should be shown at the Colombo International Airport during the immigration procedure.
3. In Person or by Post: Actually, no short-term visa will be issued by the Embassy or the Consulate General in Germany.
Visitors who already possess a valid Sri Lankan passport or valid residence permit in Sri Lanka do not need a visa to enter Sri Lanka. Visitors for other than tourist purposes (i.e. diplomatic, business, journalist, etc.) must obtain visa prior to travel to Sri Lanka, irrelevant of length of stay.
Tourists entering Sri Lanka with a PROVISIONAL PASSPORT must obtain visa prior to travel to Sri Lanka via http://eta.gov.lk/slvisa/ or through the Embassy or Consulate General. Tourists with PROVISIONAL PASSPORTS won't be issued visa on arrival at the airport.
Long-stay Tourist Visa (Up to 90 Days)
Tourist Visa for up to 90 days can be applied for as follows:
1. Tourists planning to stay in Sri Lanka for up to 90 days can travel to Sri Lanka on a short-term tourist visa and have their visa extended in Sri Lanka by the Controller Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka.
2. The Embassy in Berlin can issue visa for 90-days stay for applicants who fulfil the prerequisites. Special purpose visas and long-stay visas can be obtained by the following methods:
a) In Person: Submit visa application in person at the Sri Lanka Mission in Berlin at least two weeks prior to travel. If you come personally to the Mission, please do not transfer money through the bank, but pay cash to the cashier and obtain a receipt.
b) By Post: Submit visa application by post at least five weeks prior to travel date. Please include passport, necessary documents, and proof of payment by way of photocopy of the bank transfer. If the passport and documents are to be returned by mail, a self-addressed envelope should be included with the application. Applications send without stamped return envelope will be retained until the applicant collects them personally.
Please observe that applicants are requested to use suitable courier services for sending / receiving their passports and documents, as there have been cases of lost packages in the mail during the past months. This mission won't cover any guarantees for lost passports and documents in the mail.
3. Please observe that visa for more than 30 days as well as special purpose visits could not be applied via http://eta.gov.lk/slvisa/.
Requirements for Visa Applications
- Duly completed visa application form with signature. Please clearly write applicant's name, address and telephone number.
- Valid Passport with at least one unused visa page. The Passport should be valid for six months from the date of arrival to Sri Lanka.
- Copy of flight booking or cruise-ship reservation
- Copy of travel plan in Sri Lanka. If hotel reservations are not done, the names and addresses of planned visits/overnights
- Proof of vaccination by means of certificate as issued by relevant government institution (Travellers from Germany: Robert Koch Institute)
- Proof of Payment
Visa Application Form
Click here to download the ETA visa application form.
Visa for more than 90 days
If tourists are planning to stay for periods longer than 90 days, they can apply for visa for up to 90 days by one of the methods described above and have their visa extended by the Controller Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka.
Visa fees: >>>>
Bank details: >>>>
- Foreign Nationals from Singapore and Maldives do not need a visa under the bi-lateral program.
- Foreign Nationals who are eligible to obtain On-Arrival visas can apply for entry visa at the port of arrival in Sri Lanka. Please check the Sri Lanka immigration website for further details.
- Crew members of flights and ships do not require a visa.
- Children under 12 years of age do not require to pay the visa processing fee up to 30 days.
- Please do not send your fees in cash by mail. The Mission cannot be held responsible for any cash sent by mail.
- Please observe that applicants are requested to use suitable courier services for sending / receiving their passports and documents, as there have been cases of lost packages in the mail during the past months. This mission won't cover any guarantees for lost passports and documents in the mail.
- Visa fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- Above information is provided as of December 2021. For updated visa regulations please contact the ETA website, Sri Lanka Immigrations or your nearest Diplomatic Mission prior to travel.
Ms. Nisa Haneefa
Tel – (030) 80909749
Website - https://www.srilanka-botschaft.de/visa-residence/visa-guidelines-for-tourists