The Embassy of Sri Lanka in Berlin is happy to present to you the Sri Lanka Tourism Operational Guidelines with Health Protocols - Version 1. The guidelines were drafted in consultation with the Ministry of Health, World Health Organization (WHO), and Tourism industry stakeholders and read as follows:
Sri Lanka Tourism ready to welcome tourists from 1st August 2020
Sri Lanka is readying to welcome travelers from across the world with safety guidelines and precautionary measures.
Who can visit?
- All nationalities are welcome and all types of travelers whether groups, families, individuals.
Which airports will operate?
- Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), Colombo Ratmalana Airport (RMA) and Mattala Rajapaksa Hambantota Airport (MRIA) will be operating for tourist arrivals from Aug 1 2020.
What are the visa procedures?
- All travelers will require a valid visa; this will be issued for 30 days and extendable for up to 6 months after arrival. Online visa at http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/
- Further relaxation for long-stay guests is currently under consideration, enabling tourists to be granted five-year multiple entry visas with maximum 6 months stay.
- Visa fee US$ 100
Information needed for visa application
- Booking details at Certified Accomodation
- Itinerary in Sri Lanka
- Return Ticket
- Proof of medical insurance
Where can I stay and is there a minimum duration?
- A minimum 5-nights stay in Sri Lanka is required.
- Independent professional audits will be done to certify accommodation providers who will be listed on the Sri Lanka Tourism website. Details of bookings made with Certified Accomodation providers are required for the visa application.
Pre-departure Covid-19-PCR testing
- A negative PCR-test is required prior to boarding your flight and on arrival in Sri Lanka. The test shouln’t be older than 72 hours prior to boarding.
On arrival in Sri Lanka
- The airport will have high intensity sanitation measures in place for all areas and staff.
- There is no quarantine on arrival unless symptoms are detected.
- A PCR-test would be done on arrival at the airport. No charge.
- Currently it takes 24 hours to receive the test results. We are making changes to have results within 4-6 hours by August. In the event it is required to wait 24 hours for test results, you will be able to select a hotel for a one-night stay from Certified 4- or 5-star hotels in Colombo or Negombo until the test results are received.
- A further test will be done 4-5 days after arrival by a mobile unit in coordination with your Certified Accomodation provider.
- Travelers staying for more than 10 days will be required to take a third test during their stay. While this may be inconvenient, it is essential to safeguard everybody and provide peace of mind.
- In case of a positive PCR-result, quarantine in a designated hotel or hospitalization will take place depending on the details of the case. Quarantine would usually be 14 or 21 days if symptoms are detected.
Moving around Sri Lanka
- To ensure your safety, please arrange transportation prior to your arrival, with your Certified Accomodation provider or travel agent. Public transport should not be used.
- All tourist sites will be open from 1st August onwards with safety protocols and measures in place to ensure the well-being of our travelers.
- There will be no travel restrictions between districts for tourists.
What is Sri Lanka’s status with Covid-19?
Being and island, and thanks to the proactive measures taken, Sri Lanka has been able to manage the spread of the virus. No active community clusters have been detected in the last 30 days within the country.