- Passports can be extended for a maximum period of 10 years. After 10 years, Sri Lankans are expected to apply for a new passport. New passport may be obtained by submitting Form ‘K’ and supporting documents.Please read the new passport in lieu of expired passport section on this web site.
- Passports which have been valid for 5 years can be extended for another 5 years maximum. Applications for renewal of an existing valid passport should be made on Form ‘O’ (IM 37).
- New passports can be obtained when there are no more pages for visa endorsements. In this case, a new passport may be obtained by submitting Form ‘K’ and supporting documents. Please note that extra pages cannot be added to such passports.
- Please submit your applications with the appropriate forms and supporting documents. Please make sure to submit your applications in advance considering the processing time of 8 to 12 weeks.
I: Renewal of Existing Passport
To apply for a new passport after the 10-years maximum validity period, the necessary documents are as follows:
II. General Amendments/Endorsements for Passports
(ii) Amend/Endorse corrections Birth Date, Place of Birth, etc. - needs approval
III. Delete/Cancel Child from parent's existing passport
I. Renewal of Existing Passports - Application Guidelines:
1.) Obtain an application form from the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Berlin
- By Post: Please send a request letter with self-addressed stamped envelope to the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Berlin. Stamp value of € 3.95 and envelope size 23 cm x 10 cm (9 x 4 inches). Please state your name, address and phone number in the request letter.
- Internet: Application forms and instructions in Sinhala, Tamil and English are available in the Download Section of this web site.
2.) Instructions of filling the application forms
(a) Form O, duly completed according to following:
- Applicant’s signature on Form O
- Present postal address and telephone number in Germany
- Period of renewal/extension in years
(b) Photos and signature section of application
- Paste one (1) photo on Page 1 of Form O
- Photo size for main applicant is 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm without the white border
- Photographs should be 'direct face' and both ears must be visible
- Please do not write or mark anything on the photograph. Please observe that the right photograph on the 2nd page needs to be stamped by an authenticating authority, for instance a Honorary Consulate.
- Photographs should have been taken within the last three (3) months. Photographs taken more than three months ago will not be accepted
3.) Supporting documents required:
I. Passport/travel document currently held by the applicant.
II. Photocopies of the following pages of passport should be included:
- Data page with name
- Current visa endorsement pages
- Pages from 1 to 9
III. Self-addressed stamped envelope (Stamp value of € 3.95 and envelope size 23 cm x 10 cm or 9 x 4 inches)
IV. Documentary proof that prescribed passport fees have been paid; copy of bank payment slip.
V. Additional items for special cases:
- Restricted passports - relevant supporting documents
4.) Lodging and handing over application
Applicant can personally hand over the application along with the supporting documents to the Consular Division of the Embassy or the Consulate General on any working day.
Please forward the completed application form with all required documents to the Consular Division of the Embassy or the Consulate General by Registered Post. Please make sure that:
- the photo and signature are attested according to instructions
- the originals of all documents are sent along with the application form (The original documents will be returned to the applicant with the new passport.)
5.) Payment of application fees
Bank details: >>>>
II. General Amendments / Endorsements of Existing Passports:
- Please fill in Form O and follow the same procedure as above.