Congratulations on your decision to get married! We advise you to contact the Consular Division personally regarding registering your marriage in Germany in order to receive the correct and most up-to-date information regarding this event and to make sure the occasion is enjoyable for you and your guests.
1. One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan citizen and should give Notice of Marriage to the Consulate. (Forms are available at the Consulate upon request)
2. The marriage may be registered in the Consulate after a lapse of twelve (12) working days from the date of receipt of the Notice of Marriage at the Consulate, and within three (03) months from such date
3. Please refer to the “Payment and Fees” for the fees for registration of a marriage and the registration of a marriage under Special Licence
4. Valid passports of both parties should be produced
5. Two (02) witnesses with Sri Lankan citizenship and photo identification documents should also be present at the occasion
The originals of the following documents are required for the registration of a marriage:
a. Passports of both parties
b. Affidavit about civil status being eligible to marry (single/divorced/widowed) or Unmarried Certificate issued by the Consular Division.
c. Notice of Marriage signed by applicants and two witnesses with Sri Lankan citizenship
d. Proof of Residence
e. Fees payment
Marriage between two Sri Lankan Citizens
Both parties should obtain an Affidavit issued by the Grama Niladari (Village Headman) in the applicant’s city/village, which should be endorsed by the Divisional Secretary and thereafter by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Colombo 03.
Marriage between a Sri Lankan citizen and non – Sri Lankan Citizen
1.If one of the parties is a German citizen, the marriage must be completed at the German authorities and not at the Mission
2. Affidavit should be obtained by the Sri Lanka Citizen (Procedure is the same as above.)
2. The other party to the marriage is required to obtain a Bachelor Certificate from the relevant authority in Germany or embassy of his/her country.
We advise you to contact the Consular Division of the Mission to ensure the correct execution of the registration and to avoid unnecessary delay. Incomplete registration applications will be declined.